Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 10 September 2024

Green symphonies


I've lost count of the number of times I've visited the RHS gardens at Harlow Carr but I'm glad I live within easy driving distance and, with annual membership, I can go as often as I like. On my last trip, it was clear that we're in a transitional season from summer to autumn. The interest comes from texture and form - seedheads, foliage - since many blooms have more or less finished and the true autumn colours are not yet really showing. 

After a damp summer, all the greens are amazing and the foliage is lush. Recent high winds, however, have dislodged tree branches and some of the woodland was closed as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. It's a huge estate though, so there was still plenty to delight the senses - and bumping into some friends there as I queued for coffee meant we had a leisurely drink and a most enjoyable chat too. 


The pond in the 'teaching garden' was absolutely crammed with lily pads, and happily there was enough sunshine to open up some of the flowers too. 

Elsewhere it looked like something had had a good munch on the hostas, but I actually enjoyed the resulting lace-like patterns. 


This area near the entrance has had a complete overhaul in the last couple of years, with a pool and rockery created. It has really filled out with plants - compare it to how it looked in spring 2023 HERE

2 comments:

  1. Harlow Carr is one of the places I have not yet managed to visit, probably because it is easier to get to by car (and we don't have one when in the UK) than by public transport.
    I like the lace-like look of the hostia leaves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same issue with Hostas this year. It is such a lovely time of year.

    ReplyDelete