Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 28 September 2024

Aire Valley Arts


Aire Valley Arts, a consortium of highly skilled local artists working in a variety of mediums, was holding a large art exhibition in Saltaire's Victorian URC church during the recent Saltaire Festival. The church is a magnificent setting, one of the jewels in Saltaire's crown as a World Heritage Site. I did feel it was a bit hard to fully appreciate the art works, which were mostly displayed on the pews and thus not that easy to stand back from and really see. It provided a good reason to encourage people to visit the church, I guess. 

Built by Sir Titus Salt for the millworkers and village residents, the church was completed in 1859 and is a Grade 1 listed building. 



I have to confess I was very tempted by the painting on the right (below): 'Ancient Place 1', an oil on wood panel, by Sue Strange. Loved the colours and the abstract yet evocative nature of it. Sorely tempted... but I have spent so much money lately getting my new flat refurbished that I don't think I can justify it! 

1 comment: