Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 28 June 2024

Seven Bridges Valley Walk


From the lakeside at Studley Royal, there is a path up through a valley that is known as 'The Seven Bridges Valley Walk'. It's been on my list to explore for a long time, so I'm pleased to have finally ticked it off. The walk follows the River Skell up a narrowing valley. The river was originally criss-crossed by seven ornamental wooden bridges in a Chinese Lattice style but when they deteriorated they were replaced by rustic stone arched bridges, of which only five remain. There's also a ford by each bridge, used by carriages that transported the Aislabie's guests on tours around the estate. 




There are some wonderful old trees, their bark now twisted and rough. Up above on the hillsides there were apparently some monuments and follies, as in the more formal gardens on the estate, but most of these have disappeared. 


Leaving the valley, you climb steeply up through a wooded area, eventually arriving at Mackershaw Lodge, a strange arched structure whose purpose is not really known, though it was most likely simply another focal point on the estate. 


From there, the walk passes downhill through open fields, returning to the lakeside. Around 300 deer live on the estate and some were grazing there. They looked up as I passed (at a sensible distance!) but were curious rather than spooked. I think these were red deer, though there are also fallow deer and Manchurian sikas in the deer park.  


The bad news, following my walk, was that, a day or so later, I discovered a tick attached to my shin, most likely picked up from the deer park. I removed it as soon as I saw it and can only pray it wasn't one of the estimated 2 - 4% of ticks in the UK that carry Lyme Disease. I'll have to keep an eye on the bite and make sure I don't develop a rash or any other symptoms. 😟  I think it is peak tick season and it's been so wet and rather warmer than average, so there are possibly more about. Nasty things, though as far as I'm aware it's the first time I've been bitten. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the bridge and the gnarled tree.

    The human-animal statues always freak me out. What are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ticks have become a real issue here too. I hope yours was a non-carrier.
    Love the bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bridges and a lovely looking walk. So sorry about tick bite, and fingers and toes crossed it carried no Lyme to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ticks have always loved me and way back in 2009, I caught Lyme disease.
    We used to get deer in our old garden, which didn’t help, but I’ve picked up one or two on my arms since we moved here, as has my husband. They are everywhere. Horrid things.
    That was a delightful walk, btw! 😁

    ReplyDelete