Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 6 June 2024

Nature's glory


Here are a few more photos from my walk near Blubberhouses. The wetland habitat at the edge of Fewston reservoir was, to me, an interesting area and I could happily have spent more time trying to identify plants, trees and butterflies. There were a few bluebells in flower, and their distinctive colour could not really be mistaken for anything else.   

Marsh marigolds (often called kingcups) are buttercup yellow and are in the same family as meadow buttercups but like to have their roots in water. 


The pretty, white, star-like flowers of Greater stitchwort are commonly seen in spring. I love them and yet for some reason every year I forget what they are called! They have lots of folk names: 'wedding cakes', 'Star of Bethlehem' and 'daddy's shirt buttons' among them. 


I had a bit of trouble identifying this one but I'm pretty sure it's bugle (Ajuga reptans) going by the flowers, broad leaves and damp habitat. 


I'm not sure what the trees were but willow, alder, birch and hazel all tolerate having their roots flooded. 


Finally, I enjoyed the ombre effect at the water's edge, with a sunny blue sky reflected and the rust colour of the lake bed showing through near the shore. 


1 comment: