Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 23 June 2021

Summer days

It was my birthday recently and I spent a very lovely day with my family in Hebden Bridge. We had a good walk, down through the fields below Blackshaw Head and then through the woods back to home. 

The meadows were brimming with wildflowers and the girls enjoyed exploring. They are beginning to learn some of the flower names - and birds too. There was a curlew flying on the far side of the meadow; it probably had a nest over there, so the dog was kept on a lead but he accepted that gracefully. 

Much of the path we followed is part of the Pennine Way. We were passed by couple of runners doing the Montane Spine Summer Race, an ultra-endurance race from Edale in the Derbyshire Peak District 268 miles non-stop along the Pennine Way to its end point in Kirk Yetholm. (See HERE). By the time we realised what they were doing they were long gone but I can only admire their courage and fitness. They looked remarkably fresh. This year, due to Covid restrictions, the runners were in 'pods' with staggered start times, so we didn't see any more. Past winners have completed the whole race in about 78-82 hours! You have 156 hours to do it. The winter Spine Race is of course, even more demanding. 

My girls, meanwhile, continued to develop their own fearless athleticism by climbing trees and playing in rocky streams along the way. I have to be careful to hold in my anxiety! They are much braver and more sure-footed than I have ever been. Their mum, wisely, just advises them in a positive way what they must watch out for ('avoid the dead branchesalways stand on a branch that has leaves, as they are stronger'). It's the kind of idyllic, carefree childhood that I would have wanted for the girls and I am so happy that they are making the most of it. Childhood is so short and precious and yet so foundational to one's whole life. 

The day reminded me of my own childhood trips, often with my grandparents (as they had a car) into the nearby Derbyshire Dales, picnicking in meadows among the buttercups and cow parsley. Happy days.  

6 comments:

  1. I have always felt sorry for single children. When one has a sister, or in my case a brother, it is wonderful. We are so different, yet one could not pass a feeler gauge between us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice for them to be outside rather in lockdown inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated happy 🎂 birthday greetings to you, Jenny, and from the photos posted both you and your girls enjoyed a lovely outing. Your words about childhood being so precious and short-lived are so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that first photo is like a gorgeous painting. Looks like such a lovely place for family walks and the honoring of birthdays. I'm glad families are able to gather together again.

    ReplyDelete