Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 24 June 2021

Calderdale's fields and woods

A few more photos from my birthday ramble through the meadows and woods above Hebden Bridge. There are a few old, sturdy-looking, stone farmhouses dotted around, though whether they are used as farms nowadays or simply residences is unclear. Most of the fields seemed to be hay meadows, full of wildflowers and an abundance of different grasses. (There's an interesting discourse on the subject of meadows HERE).

On the other side of the Calder valley, Stoodley Pike peace monument is visible for miles around. A monument was first built there in 1814/15, during the Napoleonic Wars. The present structure was completed in 1856 at the end of the Crimean Wars. 

The wildflower meadows give way to craggy woodland down the valley sides. The bluebells are long gone but there are wild rhododendrons in bloom (pretty, provided there aren't too many, as they are an invasive species)  and later there will be bilberries and blackberries to forage. 


 

6 comments:

  1. Some wonderful skies in those first two shots. Real "Pennine Way" country. I recently got a letter from a friend that I walked the PW with, over forty years ago. He told me that he still has a pen and ink drawing I did for him, looking towards Stoodley Pike - I don't remember that at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such beautiful images captured in this post, Jenny. My favorite here was that farmhouse sounded by fields and those wonderful cloud filled skies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What glorious pictures! I wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots. I love the meadow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belated happy birthday wishes! What a lovely ramble you had, and thanks for letting us see it too.

    ReplyDelete