Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 15 August 2020

Summer, strawberries, sisters

I can't believe I've lived this long and never visited a 'pick your own' fruit farm before. Of course, as children, we often used to visit my great uncle and aunt, who had a dairy farm with a huge orchard behind the farmhouse. We spent many happy hours there picking apples. But since then - nada. 

It was my daughter who suggested we should go and pick some strawberries, so we all tootled off to Kemp's Farm in Horsforth. 


We collected a goodly haul, as you can see. A few were eaten before I got round to taking the picture, but the girls were very good at resisting snacking whilst we were picking. 

I've spent the evening making strawberry crumble cake and a kind of raw strawberry jam/puree, made with chia seeds. 

The girls were in a mood for larking about! Sisters... 




7 comments:

  1. How was your back after strawberry picking? I am so disappointed with supermarket strawberries these days. they are hard and white inside. (Probably manipulated so as to last longer) I must take a trip to the local farm where they sell them at a stall.But the farm is getting built out by housing estates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, luckily they grow some of them on raised gutters at chest height, so that makes it easier to see and pick them.

      Delete
  2. I've never been to a P-Y-O farm either - at least I've never paid for the privilege, which is not quite the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a good experience for the sisters-- and you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done pick your own apples but not strawberries.
    The girls are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our farmers here grow P-Y-O strawbs too. I have noticed that promptly at the end of the short picking season they plough the plants in.

    ReplyDelete