Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 8 August 2020

Bingley to Ravenroyd


Leaving Bingley behind, I followed the track alongside the river. It is quite peaceful, although the track is the main access to a riding school and stables at Ravenroyd so it is used by vehicles. I'd not walked this way before and I was quite charmed by how attractive this stretch of the river is.




The farm at Ravenroyd draws your eye from afar. It is a listed building, built in the early 1600s with later additions. It has wonderful mullioned windows and an unusual stone gutter with projecting rainwater spouts. It nestles rather sweetly in the valley, and I was reminded that this area is known as 'Throstle's Nest' - throstle being an old word for a thrush. I've not found out a great deal about the house, except that at one time it was associated with the Quakers.



9 comments:

  1. I always love a good riverside walk, and Yorkshire always seems particularly well-supplied with them. That stretch looks particularly attractive and I like the look of the stone farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely walk
    A glitch? The daily photo blog shows up identical to the Salt & Light blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm deliberately overlapping them to give people time to make the switch.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful countryside, and an interesting building! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be taking us to the Druid's altar tomorrow? Should we wear white?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting house and also its former religious association with the Quakers as I recently visited a Shaker village here in NH.
    Thanks for the heads-up on this "new" blog site. I didn't know you could set up another one with the identical name. Then I noted your previous comment about overlapping, so this NEW blog will retain the same title. I admit to having been a bit confused myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't set up a 'new' blog with the same https address, which is why people may need to change their settings to continue to follow me. You can, however, use the same blog title (Salt & Light) again. I decided to overlap the postings to give people time to make the switch if they wanted to.

      Delete

      Delete
  6. Throstle's Nest!I am stricken with homesickness for a place I've never been--in this life anyway.

    ReplyDelete