Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 12 August 2020

Saltaire perspective

This is a 'classic' shot of Albert Terrace in Saltaire, though not one I've often taken. (I'm not fond of getting down on the ground these days. It's hard to get up again!) There are frequently vehicles in the way but I happened to be walking along one day when it was clear. I wonder if it's just coincidence that the huge chimney of Salts Mill is directly in the sight line here, giving these amazing perspective lines. I suspect not, given that the village was meticulously planned as an entirety by Salt's architects, Lockwood and Mawson, even though the whole thing took fifteen years actually to construct. The attention to detail in the planning and buildings never ceases to amaze me.

9 comments:

  1. My memories never cease to amaze me. Immediately on looking at your wonderful photo I could hear steel-railed clogs clattering on these sets of a bitterly cold frosty morning, smell the rank coal smoke, and hear the whine of an electric Craven Dairies milk float....and the dialect, like champagne in my ears. I once met an old Yorkshireman whose dialect was so broad even I could just understand him, and it warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The low angle really brings out both the perspective and the texture of the road-surface. It sort of has echoes of some of Bill Brandt's photos but is more genteel, which quite befits Salt's ambitions for his town. Ace photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thank you for your kind words. I'm flattered.

      Delete
  3. Excellent shot. Getting down on the ground to take pictures isn't something I can do, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice details far and near. And there are definitely the echoes of all that have passed those cobbles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Low level shots like this one show so much detail that could be missed when standing. And as you said, getting back up is the challenge which is why they elude myself as well. The b&w was very complementary to the subject matter too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Photo! It will make a gorgeous enlarge photo on a feature wall. Do you sell photo copies on a website? The scene is almost the opposite of what deer beds are in nature, especially with the chimney view, city vs countryside.
    Can you set the timer and then just lower the camera using the strap?
    I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds like it might work.

    ReplyDelete