Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 5 August 2020

Boondoggle


'Boondoggle' was passing through Saltaire as I walked along the canal recently. When the man disembarked to walk to Hirst Lock to grapple with the gates, we had a brief chat. He told me that they have just started living and working aboard the boat. They've only had it a few months. It was very smart and newly painted, also HUGE! I asked if it fitted in the locks (some locks on the Leeds-Liverpool Canal are quite short) and he said 'just!'. I didn't know the word boondoggle but Google tells me it means 'an unnecessary or wasteful project'. Let's hope it doesn't prove to be so for this couple.

All of a sudden there is quite a lot of boat traffic, after all the months of quiet. 'Johno' was moored just outside the village - another smartly painted boat with some colourful touches, including some traditional tinware.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny - wonderful word 'boondoggle' ... and beautiful boats ... glad you had a chat with the owner of Boondoggle! Blog looks good ... all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I followed too ... but for some reason my photo does or in this case does not appear - and I've no idea why ... but tis me ... stay safe and enjoy being out and about a bit more ... Hilary

      Delete
  2. The professional Yorkshire short-boat men told me that the very shortest lock on the L&L canal is the middle lock on the Newlay flight. When descending one must always press the bow well forward to avoid the rudder hanging up on the cill as the boat drops downward. Nowadays the cill is well marked; then they were not. Jenny, I wish you much success with your new blog. OF COURSE we followers will remain faithful to you, our fantastic roving reporter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In another life, I want to live on a narrow boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a way to live. I can't imagine it!

    ReplyDelete