Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 26 August 2020

The Glad Game


'There is something about everything that you can be glad about, 
if you keep hunting long enough to find it.' 
                                                                                 Eleanor H Porter, 'Pollyanna'

When I was young, the film 'Pollyanna' with Hayley Mills in the title role was one of my favourites. Featured regularly on TV, I must have watched it five or six times and it made a big impression on me. I guess it was that film that first alerted me to the practice of gratitude: the Glad Game, as Pollyanna called it. Of course, you can have too much of it but generally speaking it is a principle that I've found helpful, particularly in seeing me through some of the tougher times in my life. 

Many times during this pandemic I've made myself deliberately focus on the good to lift my spirits and keep from getting too down. Being able to get out for exercise, consciously enjoying the beauty in the natural world and noticing afresh the local delights of the World Heritage Site I'm fortunate to call 'home' have been useful strategies to keep me rooted in the present. They stop me catastrophizing and excessively worrying about the uncertain future.  

I regularly walk past the allotments beside Salts Mill and watching the unfolding of colour there through the seasons is always a source of joy. Now the gladioli are in full bloom, tall and stately spikes of colour. Somewhat old-fashioned flowers nowadays, they remind me of my grandmother, who used to grow them. She called them 'gladdies' - so I guess that was what reminded me of the Glad Game. They must surely bring joy to most people? 

I'm lucky that I can bring them home in a photograph and play with them, attempting some creative double exposures. I have not yet perfected the technique but for me it's a good way of 'being in the present', an antidote to the gloom and anxiety in the big wide world. We all need that. 


 

9 comments:

  1. Four years ago I bought a Big bag of red "Glad" bulbs from Aldi for EUR 2,40. Who can resist that? They came up in a riot of colour and gave me much joy. Passers-by saw them behind my wooden fence and stopped to admire. My creative neighbour admired them too so I dug them up last week and gave them to her for her "wild" front garden. The question now is: what shall I replace then with? Ideas, please! I know I am surrounded by experts who will give me good advice! Position North East, half shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely. I am a few years older, and enjoyed the Pollyanna books before the movie. And I may have been a naive Pollyanna type child at times too! Perhaps I still am, as I avoid many negative inputs (politics for one) coming into my life. It won't change anything for me to watch conventions, as I'll definitely vote, but my peace of mind is a touch better off for ignoring the words being flung back and forth by candidates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A creative edit.

    I've had my ups and downs during this pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics! I loved that movie too. It is so weird to see Hayley Mills as an older woman now - you expect her to look the same as in the movie somehow! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up reading the Pollyanna books. And I'm glad I have your blog to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki said it for me, as the movie came out after I'd read them....and I too am GLAD to have your blog to enjoy. Always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it is time to seek out the beauty around us. These are lovely shots. Have you tried Intentional Camera Movement shots. The Gladdys would be a good subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit the same Jenny, looking for the positives is a happier way to live life. Love what you have done with the gladdies.. they always remind me of Dame Edna Everage 😉

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your artistic photo of the gladdies, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete