Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 30 December 2023

Thira


There's never a dull moment when you're walking along the canal towpath. I didn't expect to see a man looking into a hole (see yesterday) and I didn't expect to see a Greek statue - but there you are! The narrowboat it was on was named Thira, which is another name for the Greek island of Santorini. The mythology around it is complicated, starting with Jason and the Argonauts but I can't find a god or goddess named Thira. 

2 comments:

  1. Obscure mythology always gets me. I have a huge tome to look up goddess and gods by name...and then the index gives a dozen or more extra for each one. I think it depended upon where you lived in ancient times...and maybe who wrote the myth into historical writings. But I am glad you're finding such interesting subjects unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete