Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 23 December 2023

A different kind of rainbow


Many people locally have been excited at the appearance of extremely rare clouds known as nacreous clouds or 'mother of pearl' clouds. My Facebook feed was full of photos one morning and I was a bit frustrated that I'd missed them. I've said before that I can see hardly any expanse of sky from my current house and I hadn't been out anyway because of the wind and rain of storm Pia. Later in the day, towards sunset, I popped out to put some recycling in the bin and I glanced up. I thought I could see a bit of pink so I raced inside and grabbed my phone and took a few photos. On reviewing them on my phone, I couldn't see any colour so I concluded I'd stared at a bright spot and got one of those retinal smears that can temporarily happen. Excitement over. 

It was only later that I looked at the photos on a bigger screen - and - yes! There it is, unmistakably, a little patch of rainbow cloud. Wow! It feels like a real privilege to glimpse this, even such a small patch in such uninspiring surroundings. They are usually only seen in winter at higher latitudes in Scandinavia and northern Canada. The technical explanation is HERE on the Met Office page.  

It seems that even a storm can bring gifts with it. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what lovely pastel colors! So glad you could cajole some into your phone camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have never heard of that. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete