Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 12 December 2023

A winter walk from Embsay


The weather has been such that you have to seize the good days for walks and stay cosy inside when it's wet and dreary... and there have been far more wet, dull days than bright ones. On one 'good day' I went for a circular walk from the village of Embsay, just outside Skipton. It's a nice little village with a good community feel, originally a medieval monastic holding which grew during the Industrial Revolution when several mills were built in the area. I imagine the pond in my photo above was once a mill dam.  


It was a really frosty morning, temperatures hovering just below 0°C, with a winter sparkle on the foliage.
Looking back down into the valley there were threads of mist hanging over the river. 


Just above Embsay is a small reservoir, popular for summer boating judging by the number of small sailboats on the shore.  



Depending on the direction I looked in, the scenery was either quite intense and colourful or interestingly bleached out due to the low sun. That's Embsay Crag in the photo above. 


As I climbed higher up towards the Crag the views were lovely. 


It wasn't a long walk, less than four miles, so the path soon turned back downhill, returning to Embsay through fields - and always with that delightful view. 


Find the walk route HERE.

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a lovely walk. Speaking of frost, there was a heavy one today, such that the roof downhill from me was covered with so much white I at first thought it was snow. But the sun has finally had her way with it, and our temps are a bit more reasonable, now 36 F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find so many lovely places to walk. I have often wondered if you walk out in the countryside alone sometimes. I think I would feel a bit nervous but then I am used to being in a city surrounded by people all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brave soul! Thank you. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete