Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 3 September 2023

Willow sculptures


There is something about willow sculptures that I really like. They both stand out and yet blend in to the natural environment and, of course, will eventually rot down as wood does. There are several sculptures in Spring Woods in Skipton. I've shown a couple of them from my walks there before but on my last visit I found the horse, which from a distance looks surprisingly realistic. The sculptor, certainly of the 'Spirit of the Medieval Huntress' and the 'Stalking Horse', and therefore probably of the deer too, is Anna Cross of 'Anna and the Willow'. Together they reference the medieval origins of the wood, which was a hunting ground and larder for nearby Skipton Castle. 

7 comments:

  1. Amazing work. There used to be a man called "The Willow Man" who had a boat moored at Ely and would sit on the riverside making his sculptures. It was fascinating to watch him at work - and even better if you came back an hour or so later to see the amazing progress he'd made. I imagine he sold most of his work to passers by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful sculptures. I wonder how long they last?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THese are beautiful creations in an ephemeral art form, which somehow is conveyed through the shapes and their placement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen something similar here once, as part of a topiary exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I think I've never seen a willow sculpture I didn't like. Wonderful medium for reproducing living creatures.....

    ReplyDelete