Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 4 September 2023

St John's Church, Baildon


My camera club had an outing to St John's Church, Baildon. It's only ten minutes drive for me, an easy trip. I've been in the church before, usually when there has been a festival of some sort and lots of other people about, so it was good to have the freedom to use a tripod, with just a handful of fellow photographers all trying to be thoughtful and not photo-bomb each other's pictures. 

I explored the churchyard. Many of the older gravestones have been moved to allow easier maintenance of the lawns, and either placed around the perimeter or laid flat as paving stones. It has a stunning view across to Idle, with the masts on Idle Hill which relay TV and radio signals from the main transmitter at Emley Moor. There is, incidentally, a trig point up on Idle Hill too. 



The gravestones include a few larger Victorian monuments and some were nestled among the plants, which I quite liked.  


You don't have to spend long exploring such places before stumbling across heartbreaking stories. Here's a gravestone commemorating five young children from the same family:
1851 Christiana Peel, aged 1 year 3 months - and in the same month, her sister Mary Dinah Peel aged 2 years 7 months,
1855 Benjamin Holmes Peel aged 5 months
1859 (just before Christmas) Frances Ellener Peel aged 3 years 
1886 Clara Eleanor Townend (granddaughter) aged 1 year 9 months and another Ellenor that I can't quite read (possibly the mother?)  


4 comments:

  1. Sorry, I didn't know what a "trig point" might be. My mind takes me to ley lines of power in the earth, but it doesn't quite register there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post of 22 July explained what they are - a triangulation point used for surveying before they had satellite info.

      Delete
    2. Oh, thanks so much. If I'd just thought of surveying I would have figured it out!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful church, and a peaceful setting.

    ReplyDelete