Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 2 September 2023

Simon's Seat


I finally got round to climbing to Simon's Seat, on the Bolton Abbey estate, when a friend and I decided we'd make it our Bank Holiday Monday adventure. It was, at least, a dry day though dull and overcast and pretty chilly at altitude. To be honest, it wasn't as nice a climb as I had expected. In part that was because the footpath we chose to ascend was blocked about halfway up at a gate, and we had to strike out through the heather on little more than a sheep track, which proved to be really hard going. Finally regaining a track, as we climbed there were some good views of the heather clad moors all around. Some of these are managed grouse moors; the Bolton Abbey Estate runs organised shooting parties. 


I think I expected Simon's Seat to be more like a mountain but in fact the steep climb arrives at a wide moorland plateau around 400m, and Simon's Seat (485m) is one of the rocky outcrops of millstone grit up there (see photo above, on the skyline). So it is 'climbing TO Simon's Seat' rather than 'climbing Simon's Seat'. There is a trig point there (see below) but that required an additional scramble up the rocks that I didn't feel I could manage. There were a few other walkers up there, and some young lads bouldering (free climbing on small rock formations). We just slumped down on a rock and ate our sandwiches...   


Walking back down was a little easier, as the track was more defined, though steep in parts. Again, the views were far-reaching, and the heather added a lovely wash of purple across the hillsides. 


I'm glad I did it, as it was the first time I've ventured right up there - but I think it'll be the last too. I'm not old... but I'm no longer young either! It was about 23000 steps according to my phone app, about 10 miles, but the steep, rough terrain made it feel arduous.  

6 comments:

  1. Wow that was a long walk and steep too. Well done you! The views are breathtaking especially with the heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed, at least 5 miles going up, then 5 back down! And not easy switchbacks it seems...something to check off your list of heights attained!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That final shot is wonderful. Makes the climbing worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I reckon that you must’ve felt quite a sense of achievement having done that! And wonderful views too! 😁

    ReplyDelete