Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 20 September 2023

Kettlewell


The start point for my walk was Kettlewell, quite a big settlement compared to some of our Dales villages. It is a place that attracts tourists and walkers so there are holiday lets and guesthouses scattered around. I'm not sure if the building below was holiday accommodation but it was attractive. I also couldn't tell whether it was several cottages or one house. It had several doors, and two rather wonderfully pruned holly trees. 


There was a date stone of 1681 above one of the doors, but I suspect this had perhaps been added from an older building, as the next door along said 1835 or something similar. It seems that in 1686 the village was inundated by a flood, when heavy rain cascaded into the river from the hills around. Several houses were destroyed and the villagers had to flee for their lives. So it's possible that the 1681 datestone originated from a flood-damaged property. 


My walk took me from the car park by the bridge, through the village and then up a track known as Top Mere Road, an ancient green lane used to move sheep around the surrounding hills. Sheep farming is still a source of income, with several farms in the area. The views back down to Kettlewell as the track climbs are rather lovely. 

5 comments:

  1. Love the old building, whatever the date. And it's pretty green windows! That village is really picturesque, and my goodness you went pretty high above it! The plain wood door has water (rain probably) damage showing in the lower half, but doesn't seem to have been treated ever, just wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely village. The hills in the background I can't tell if that is a rock ledge or eroded soil. The geology is interesting. Good photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such wonderful villages all around you. There is nothing like that here that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm homesick for a place I've never been.

    ReplyDelete