Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 18 June 2023

Riverside


I had a lovely walk along the riverside from Ilkley to Addingham recently. It wasn't, it has to be said, a particularly nice day, being heavily overcast, but the dry spell continues and the River Wharfe is consequently quite low. The season unfolds: hawthorn blossom is already starting to fade. The stars of the show on this day were the clumps of Cuckooflowers, sometimes called Lady's Smock. Its pink and white flowers bloom from April (when the cuckoos return to our countryside) in damp meadows and on the riverside.


It is buttercup season too. There are a few different types but all are that strong buttery yellow with shiny petals. We used to hold them under our chins as children to see the yellow reflected, asking 'Do you like butter?' If there was a reflection the answer was 'yes', of course. 


I enjoyed how this little patch nestled into the fallen tree trunk in quite an attractive arrangement. I tried the same image in mono... needs a bit more punch, I think. I'll have to play around with the edit a bit more. 


 

4 comments:

  1. A very "English" look to that first photo with its rich greens and overcast skies. I've had a beard throughout my adult life so no reflection. But I still like butter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the buttercups in colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos. I remember the buttercups from when I lived in England as a child and holding them under my chin.

    ReplyDelete