Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 7 June 2023

Exuberant nature


Much as I enjoy visiting carefully tended show gardens, I also respond to nature's resilience and determination in more ordinary places. These valerian plants have colonised an unpromising patch of waste ground on the way into Shipley, forcing themselves up through the tarmac. They are - to me - every bit as cheerful and delightful as the cultivated and manicured garden plants at Harlow Carr, York Gate or anywhere else. 

5 comments:

  1. The area looks like it needs a bit of cheering up. I see that some poppies have sprung up on a piece of waste ground near me. It looks as though someone might have scattered some seed there - now who might that have been???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love volunteer plants too! They just say their lives are more hardy than those tended in gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to scatter Cosmos seeds around as I walked the dog and it was fun to see them come up in odd places the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That valerian is gorgeous! I don't believe I've ever grown any.

    ReplyDelete