Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 19 June 2023

Around Addingham

Addingham is an historic and attractive village, strung out long and thin along the main street, with a cluster of 18th century buildings that date back to when it was mainly sustained by farming and handloom weaving. It is well cared for, with a community garden (above) and a community hub and library in the old school room, where you can use free wi-fi, see exhibitions and explore the area's history. (I actually visited to see a photo exhibition by one of our camera club members - and was offered a free and very nice cup of coffee while I browsed.) By the early 19th century weaving was transferring to mills and eventually there were five textile mills around the village. A wave of building in the 1870s resulted in rows of Victorian terraced houses and shops (somewhat reminiscent of Saltaire, see below) and the village thrived. The last textile mill closed in 1976 and now the village is largely a commuter and retirement community. 


The church lies at the east end of Addingham, surrounded by fields and some lovely old villas and converted farm buildings. There are numerous tracks and footpaths and the Dalesway long distance path passes through along the riverside. 


I just took a few snaps along the way and I think I must go back and explore some more of the old centre and its little backstreets and buildings. 



4 comments:

  1. I knew the name; must have passed through along the Dales Way. More fool me for not exploring such an attractive village, but that's the way I walked back then - counting the miles rather than enjoying what they had to offer. Everywhere I go it seems to be bin day. Maybe I should start photographing them rather than searching for angles that exclude them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many lovely villages in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addingham looks really beautiful and this is a soothing walk. I’m so attracted by the villages and countryside of your country.
    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  4. The old church stands out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete