Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 9 June 2023

Menagerie


My grandgirls came over for the day during the half-term holidays. It wasn't very good weather, being unseasonably cold, so we sought amusement in a local garden centre that holds all sorts of delights. It has two large African Spurred Tortoises, Brian and Barney, which are allowed to roam about freely in one area. One of them mistook a roll of wadding for something tasty but was rescued by a member of staff before any harm came to it or the wadding. Interesting creatures. When I was a child we had two (normal sized) tortoises but they weren't all that exciting as pets, not being at all furry and cuddly, not to mention the fact that they hibernated for a good part of the year! Anyway, the girls were quite interested in Brian and Barney.  

There are glass tanks containing small snakes, geckos and lizards, including this rather handsome chap :

Other cages contain hamsters, guinea pigs and other little furry creatures:

The star of the show has to be Elvis the parrot:

There's a well-stocked aquatic section, with tanks full of pretty tropical fish. I'm rather fond of them. We used to keep a small aquarium at one time and I loved watching the neon colours and graceful shapes swirling around. 



5 comments:

  1. I recently walked through a pet supply store, and avoided looking at the fish...I did love having their calming technecolor beauties to watch, and they were my last pets to give up. I buried the last three under a plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice visit, beautiful pictures. I home they gave the tortoise a nice treat for his wadding loss.
    If you look at a fish tank long enough, you can develop a sense of floating. Its weird, but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents always had a fish tank when I was a kid and I loved watching them.

    ReplyDelete