Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 7 February 2023

The play of light


I enjoyed noticing how the light behaved in various parts of the Bolton Abbey estate's woodlands. There are quite a few fallen trees, casualties - I suspect - of the stress caused to nature by the very dry summer we had last year. I loved how the sun just caught a couple of areas here, glowing gold and yellow and somehow providing a focal point and focus in a rather chaotic scene. 


Drystone walls demarcate the woodland from the fields at the top of the valley side. Low sun shoots through the branches of trees and throws strong shadows to contour the grassland. 

Further down in the wood, the sun sends bright rays where it can, momentarily blinding if you happen to glance that way. 


At one point I was fascinated by the coppery toned reflections in the water, as the sun glinted off the tops of the trees. I loved the copper v blue combination, lifted with a few white highlights as the water ripples over rocks. 



5 comments:

  1. Lovely light. I like to look at how the low sun hits our mountains and sculpts the different rises and falls that the ridge creates...like ripples vertically in the side of the ridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second shot particularly stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first photo appears like the branches are having a lovely fashion show. Good pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to leave a comment earlier in the week, but I must come back to tell you how much I liked these photos, particularly that first one.

    ReplyDelete