Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 11 February 2023

I know a bank...


'I know a bank where the wild thyme blows, Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows.'  Thus begins one of my favourite Shakespearean monologues, spoken by Oberon in Act 2 of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'. I studied the play at school and really loved it. In this case, however, the bank is where snowdrops bloom, deep in the woodland above Fewston Reservoir.  There are the scant remains of a cottage, ruined walls covered with vibrant moss. The snowdrops have perhaps escaped from the confines of its long-forgotten garden, spreading and tumbling down through the trees. It's a very pretty spot and I like to visit at this time each year. Although snowdrops are not 'native' plants of the UK, they grow in our gardens and have naturalised in many places. 





 

4 comments:

  1. I love when masses of snowdrops have grown wild like that. So delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!

    It does not take long for nature to reclaim a place.

    ReplyDelete