Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 28 February 2023

Signs and portents?


Mostly I try to see and capture the beauty in the world through my camera, though you have to acknowledge that there is much that is not so lovely. Out on a country walk, I spotted a length of baler wrap, caught on a barbed wire fence and flapping around rather pitifully in the breeze, like some kind of malevolent but trapped spirit!

On another more urban walk, a tree fern (or similar... at least I hope that's what it was!) protectively wrapped for the winter seemed also to exude a somewhat sinister vibe. I'm not given to fanciful notions but in both cases I felt simultaneously a little amused and yet also a little shivery. Perhaps our deep and primitive ancestral fears are still there in our collective unconscious. Or maybe I've been watching too many dark crime dramas! 


On the other hands, rainbows seem always to represent hope, beauty, a pot of gold or good fortune, as well as inclusivity, love and friendship. So I reckon the one I saw the other day cancels out any evil spirits that have crossed my path! Actually it was - albeit very faintly - a double rainbow so twice the value. Did you know that in a double rainbow the colours are reversed? 

4 comments:

  1. Always interesting to walk near National Trust properties and the like in winter and see the statues wrapped up to survive the frost - very spooky some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your second spooky shot is enhanced by those sharp leaves sticking out behind its base! Definitely a foil to the sweet curve of a rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know the colours are reversed in a double rainbow. I wonder what mystery of science causes that.

    ReplyDelete