Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 13 February 2023

Witch hazel

Some of the best winter colour at Harlow Carr comes from the flowers of the witch hazel (hamamelis). These curious little spidery explosions can be orange, red or yellow and often have a sweet, spicy fragrance. Underplanted with spring bulbs or set off against dogwood stems, as above, they add some welcome warmth to our gardens in the cold winter months. Witch hazel extract is used in traditional medicine. My mum used to have an old, blue glass bottle full of witch hazel tincture, which she used to dab on my bruises. I don't recall it helping much but the scent was nice. 



6 comments:

  1. A curious plant, isn't it. I recall having some Witch Hazel muscle rub at one time which was fairly useless but, I discovered, worked a treat on hot aching feet after a long walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of its use, but never tried it...as tinctures go. Lovely flowers and I haven't ever seen them. What hole in the ground is my head in, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me that my Mum had a container of witch hazel too. I remember the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I have never seen it before, only read things where it was mentioned. It really is glorious! I guess it wouldn't grow in TX. Ha.

    ReplyDelete