Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 23 February 2023

A donkey track

Catrigg Force (see yesterday) sits in a little valley above the Ribblesdale village of Stainforth. To get there you follow a track that my grandmother would have termed 'a donkey track', twisted and tortuous, as though a donkey was let loose on its own! It forms part of the Pennine Bridleway, a National Trail of some 200 miles through the Pennines from Derbyshire to Cumbria. It is the equivalent, I suppose, of the better-known Pennine Way, except that the Bridleway is specifically designed for mountain bikers and horse riders as well as walkers.  The scenery in this stretch is beautiful, even on a blustery day with rain threatening. 




That's Stainforth, in the dip in the fields. It's an attractive little village, and boasts another waterfall on the River Ribble called Stainforth Force, which I've visited in the past (see HERE). 

3 comments:

  1. I really love that 1st shot, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved these...the long shadows of early day give the contours extra definition. But I wonder what the far away whiteness is that catches my eye in the last photo. It reminds me of mining operations in our moutains.

    ReplyDelete