Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 30 April 2022

Magical mystery wood

Regular camera club meetings have ceased for the summer but we do have a series of outings planned, which was why a dozen of us descended on the ravine in Ilkley known as Heber's Ghyll. The idea was to take it slowly and mindfully, noticing what 'spoke' to us and why. It sounds easy, is harder in practice. I found I do need a dialogue with my camera to discover the best compositions. I can see something with my eye and then need to refine the vision through the camera. Perhaps that's much like any artist (though I don't often use that term to describe myself) who translates a vision through a medium, paying attention to the properties of the paint for example. Acrylics behave very differently from watercolours and you take that into account. So too with your camera and lens. 

So I was watching and listening to the woodland and the stream, the rocks, wood and moss, the light and the colours and responding through my camera. The lighting was soft, with an overcast sky, and Heber's Ghyll seemed quiet and mysterious, slightly magical in its own way. 


Whether that quiet magic transmits through my photos, only you will know.... 



6 comments:

  1. Yes it does. Quiet, soft and mysterious forest. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the third to last...looking up from the branch at your feet all the way to the bridge. It's one that encompasses the whole drop, and leaves me feeling sheltered somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like number 3 and 5. Those kinds of landscapes always make me wish I'd carried on painting after I completed my A-Level art course. Never mind, the camera's a lot quicker and less messy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3 & 5 are my favourites too. All are lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't pick a favorite--they are all magical.

    ReplyDelete