Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 23 April 2022

Falls and frogs

There's a valley that leads roughly north on the Bolton Abbey estate, up Barden Fell, following the line of a beck. It's called the Valley of Desolation but is much nicer than the name would suggest. (I believe the name comes from the aftermath of a storm that caused havoc in Victorian times.) Part way up at Posforth Gill, the beck tumbles over rocks in a rather pretty waterfall. My photo was taken on my phone so it is a little over-bright in the water, but you can see what an attractive pattern the cascade has. I'll have to go back with my big camera. 

Along the valley there are also some boggy ponds, which were full of frogs, many of them mating. You had to be really careful where you placed your feet to avoid steeping on them along the path!  A frog he would a-wooing go - heigh ho! 

I also spotted some rather attractive lichens and mosses. I once knew a botanist who was an expert in lichens and even had one named after him. I could have done with his experience on my walk. 

3 comments:

  1. Seeing frogs is always a good sign that the environment there is in fairly healthy shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of all the potential tadpoles!

    ReplyDelete