Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 8 April 2022

York Minster

I realise it's a whole five years since I visited York, the historic cathedral city and county town of Yorkshire. Early spring is a good time to visit, as the leafless trees allow better views. Above is the vista that greets you as you enter the city from the railway station, walking along the city walls. The walls are Roman in origin though substantially altered and rebuilt between the 12th and 14th centuries to surround the medieval town. York has more miles of intact wall than any other city in England, punctuated by four main gatehouses called Bars.  

Prime among the city's many architectural and historic riches, York Minster is one of the world's most magnificent cathedrals. It still towers above the city centre, though as with most of our city cathedrals it's hard to get an overall view of it. Instead you get tantalising glimpses from the city walls, at the end of an ancient street or from the minster precincts. 


The best view is arguably from Duncombe Place (below), where the stunning west frontage was catching the sun against a stormy sky. The cathedral was completed in 1472 after several centuries of building and these days the restoration of the stonework and precious stained glass is an ongoing job, not least because of devastating fires in the 1840s and in 1984.

I really love the heart-shaped tracery on the west end window. 

I didn't go inside this time, as a day isn't long enough to see everything I wanted to see in York. It only takes an hour or so to get there by train from Saltaire so I will return, hopefully before another five years has passed! 

7 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful city, though I must admit I've only been there a couple of times, and that when Australian friends wanted to go there. The Minster looks dramatic with those storm clouds behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cathedral, which I don't think I've ever looked at before...don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! If ever I get back to England (not likely,) York would be my first destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fabulous. They were working on the stained glass when I was there 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What stunning architecture and if and when we do get to visit the UK, this would definitely be a city on our "to see" list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recall in the 'sixties there was an interesting article in "The Dalesman" describing the immense damage being caused to the Minster stonework by continuous sulphuric smoke emanating from the steam engines working at York railway station.

    ReplyDelete