Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 24 April 2022

Serious business

I had my grandgirls for a day over Easter. Even though they're getting a bit grown-up now, they still insist on playing with the familiar toys I have here. A favourite is the dolls' house. It's rather dilapidated these days but then it is over sixty years old. My grandfather built it for me when I was a child. I clearly recall being given it one Christmas, when I was ill in bed with scarlet fever or some such childhood ailment. The dolls' house was placed beside my bed and helped make me happier than I might otherwise have been when I was feeling rubbish. Later my daughter played with it when she was young. It lives in my attic room - thankfully out of the way of normal household life, as it does take up quite a bit of space.  

Later on, we went down to the playground beside Roberts Park, where there is a sandpit. Odd how 'burying one's legs' can be so amusing... I remember doing just that on beaches in my youth. 

Of course, we then moved on to the serious business of ice-cream, which requires quite a lot of concentration to enjoy to the full. 

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet doll house...with curtains on the windows no less! And doors that close up the side of the house when everyone goes to sleep. Your grandfather outdid himself. Glad you made it through the childhood disease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming photos. My father built forts for toy soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good day for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have time with them like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful girls! And I love the doll house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely of your granddad to do that. And now, sounds like you are being a lovely grandma.

    ReplyDelete