Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 8 November 2020

Truth or beauty?


Do I go for truth... That these small maple trees are the only redeeming feature of this dreadful modern carpark? At least they look attractive in the autumn and tone in a little with the cladding. 

Or do I choose a different viewpoint, that might suggest the area looks rather nicer? 

The car park provides space for vehicles belonging to residents of the large Victoria Mills complex - old mill buildings that have been converted to apartments, with several futuristic new glass and steel apartment blocks at the rear, by the riverside. There seems to have been little effort to design a car park that might look more in keeping with the surroundings. Considering this is only a mile or so from the Saltaire World Heritage Site and visitors must pass it to get to the main car park at Salts Mill, I am surprised it got the approval of planners.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, trees are lovely, we need more trees!! But not in the canal, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I think a mural on the carpark, to soften and blend it into the surroundings is an inexpensive solution, instead of building renovation to change the structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely trees...and I finally figured out the steel clad building is "the carpark" - since I thought a carpark would just be a horizontal area of pavement. Duh. Sometimes I'm a bit dense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One wonders sometimes where the heads are of the people making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I obviously prefer the second.

    The carpark reminds me of one here.

    ReplyDelete