Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 23 November 2020

The day that changed everything


Scraping the barrel ('scuse the pun!), you might think, to be posting a photo of a closed, lockdown-empty pub. This pub however, has a special place in my heart. It is the Malt (formerly Malt Shovel) in Harden, built around 1550 and at one time, apparently, serving as a courthouse and prison, where travelling judges came to hear cases. It has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment. 

It has always been a cosy place for a drink and a meal and it was here, back in 1982, that we came with my parents for lunch. I was heavily pregnant, about a week overdue in fact and getting very fed-up. I had back-ache and could only feel comfortable sitting ramrod straight on a bar stool. When the menu arrived, unaccountably, I chose egg and chips - something I'd never normally order. I did enjoy them too! With hindsight I should have known... but it was only later, after we'd been home for a couple of hours, that I realised in was in labour. By 8pm I was cuddling my newborn daughter. It's a good job I had those eggs and chips too, as that was the last meal I had until breakfast the following day, by which time I was ravenous! 

Whenever I pass the pub, that day comes back vividly into my mind. In fact the pub acts as a boundary place in my mind between 'all that went before' and 'all that has come after'. Quite appropriate, I suppose, for a building that sits beside a bridge at the point where a Roman road crossed over Harden Beck.

7 comments:

  1. Great memories jogged by an interesting pub. Mmmm I could just eat some chips and egg for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can be very proud of "all that came after!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great memory, so appropriate that you gave us the story of your birthing after eating there! Keep on taking photos of outsides, and sharing bits of your life in the ones that connect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A long history of containing people and their stories, and yours is part of it. Maybe floating around in there? Well, perhaps not. But yours would be a nice one to be floating around.

    ReplyDelete