Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 7 November 2020

Adel Dam Nature Reserve


Tucked away at one end of Golden Acre Park is the Adel Dam Nature Reserve, managed by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. It too has a lake - the eponymous Adel Dam, originally a working dam for a mill in the 1700s, then used as a reservoir, later incorporated into a Victorian garden, when many trees were planted. It is surrounded by wet and dry woodland, 'wet' woodland being characterised by willows, birches and alders, with swampy pools and bogs. There is a circular trail around the reserve and two bird hides, from which you can usually spot woodpeckers and kingfishers. I looked into the hides but they are quite small. Since they were already occupied by several birdwatchers, I decided not to enter. In these pandemic days, I felt I had to be careful. So, no kingfishers for me though I did spot a jay, which always cheers me - such pretty colouring. He wouldn't look at me though!

I enjoyed a lovely peaceful walk. It almost felt like a secret place, just me and the wildlife (plenty of busy squirrels), damp, mossy and muffled from the noise of the world, though the city isn't that far away.  



5 comments:

  1. I love strolling about in places like that. The policy with bird-hides seems to be very muddled at the moment, some are open, some allow just one household at a time, while others are closed. I tend to avoid them all right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The intensity of your images make it possible to "smell" the atmosphere. By the way, I have asked the CRT in Leeds to cut back those trees on Shipley towpath. they are an impediment to navigation as no horse-drawn barge can pass the obstruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shots of the pond and woods. I like the trees, and also would avoid an enclosed space with others these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to have a place like this to escape to!

    ReplyDelete