Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday, 10 August 2026

Riverside plants


High summer means lots of plants are flowering along the riverside walk, many of them statuesque and sculptural. We've met Himalayan balsam already and, despite it being a huge problem plant, I still enjoyed this little trio of flowers I spotted (above).

I've no idea what the seed-head below is. I'm old enough to refer to it as a 'sputnik', after the spiky satellite first launched by Russia in the 1950s! Google Lens suggests it is some kind of angelica. Nice, anyway. 



I can never identify the various umbellifers you see either. There are too many similar ones. I like their sculptural forms. 


I do know this one (below): meadowsweet, with its fragrant, feathery, creamy-white flowers. Apparently parts of it are edible, used to flavour desserts and jams. It contains salicylic acid, related to the active ingredient in aspirin. It was traditionally used as a strewing herb to scent rooms. 


No comments:

Post a Comment