Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday, 13 August 2026

Partial solar eclipse - 12th August 2026


I was determined to experience this, since I'm pretty sure I won't be around for the next one in 2090! 😂  You had to be in Spain to see the full eclipse this time but, from my own balcony, I saw the partial solar eclipse, said to be around 90% at this latitude. It went a little dark, though nothing like the drama I remember from the only other eclipse I think I've seen, which was a total eclipse in 1999. 

I had a not-very-scientific set-up, involving two step stools, some white paper and a colander suspended from my curtain rail! It did the job, though the distance I had to have the colander from the paper made it a bit blurry and these are only phone shots, taken one-handed as I had to hold the colander still too!  I suppose the image being projected through a hole means it's upside down and/or back to front or something, rather than how it would have looked viewing the sun directly (not recommended!). I didn't have any proper viewing glasses, but I was pretty happy with the encounter, especially considering I didn't have to leave home to see it.  

It all seems rather marvellous, even though we understand these days why it happens. I can empathise with our ancestors, who thought these were supernatural occurrences - the gods being angry or a celestial or mythical creature eating the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment