Another heatwave, our fifth this summer! To be fair, it's not been as hot in Yorkshire and the North as further south, where it reached 38.1°C/100.5°F. It's been plenty hot enough for me though. I don't cope well with sun and high temperatures, being a fair skinned, once upon a time redhead. It's taken me years to understand that I need to drink water all the time once it gets into the high 20sC, otherwise I start feeling headachy and nauseous. I missed the window of opportunity to buy a portable air conditioning unit for my apartment in the spring and everywhere quickly sold out. So I've been having to be ingenious with window screens and fans.
In an effort not to stagnate all day in the semi-darkness (!) I've been getting up a bit earlier and going out for an early morning walk, along with the joggers and dog-walkers. It can be quite pleasant. There's an anticipatory stillness in the air at the start of a hot day, as though everything is waiting...
'Keep smiling' seemed to sum up my mood! 😬 And what more guaranteed to raise a smile than a row of sunflowers in a neighbour's garden, albeit even they are looking a bit parched and droopy.
Thankfully the temperature has now dropped a bit, though still no sign of the rain that we desperately need.



No comments:
Post a Comment