Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 17 August 2023

Weathering well


There has been a weather recording station in Bradford's Lister Park since 1908 and it has provided weather reports every day since then. At one time it was manually checked but now it's automated and monitored by the Met (Meteorological) Office 24 hours a day. I'm not sure exactly what it measures but temperature, wind speed, air pressure, humidity and rainfall must come into it. There is a variety of instruments inside, protected by a fence. I've passed it many times without realising that each side of the fence depicts a different season. Spring (above) has green leaves appearing on a tree, a man walking a dog and the sun hiding behind a cloud. 

Summer (below) has children playing with a ball, full sunshine and a verdant tree. 



Autumn's person battles an inside-out umbrella under storm clouds, whilst the tree is being stripped of its leaves. Winter has a bare branched tree and a snowman. 

5 comments:

  1. Having knowledge of weather patterns is so helpful for our planning for the next week, or maybe month. Otherwise, there's little known as to what might happen. I like the metal sculptures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fence sculptures are quite inventive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ver attractive! I wish more utilitarian things like this could be treated as an opportunity to bring a little beauty to the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Invasive fireweed. Yes. I think I've read that's its called that because after a forest/grass fire, it pops up beautifully and helps things recover. I guess I should look that up again, but at the time the name made sense to me for the first time, so maybe that's really the reason. It is lovely....and in a lush environment I guess it could go crazy!!

    ReplyDelete