Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 12 August 2023

Ellenroad Engine House


Another interesting camera club outing took us to Ellenroad Engine House Steam Museum near Rochdale. It contains the world's largest working steam mill-engine, as well as various other pieces of machinery that originally powered a cotton mill. It was a pity that on the day it wasn't working because of some problem with the water though I suspect if it had been I would have found the noise difficult to cope with. There was plenty to see and lots to photograph anyway. It was nearly impossible to take a decent photo of the whole of the huge machines though I found the detail fascinating. I restricted myself to using only a square format and intended to convert most of them to black and white but I really like the richness of the colour images. 




Only the engine house and chimney now remain, as the mill itself was demolished in 1982. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the way you've isolated these small, but telling, details showing the way that the Victorian engineers added little artistic flourishes to a functional piece of machinery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way that you have picked out the detail, a bit like you did recently on your ‘noticing’ post. You ‘zoom in’ on things so well! And I love the way that you’ve presented the photos, showing off everything to its best! Enjoy your weekend! Sal 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful details, beautifully shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great colors, so rich on functional pieces of iron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd find a visit here fascinating.

    ReplyDelete