Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 18 August 2023

Fireweed... and a mystery


After a busy day and lots of sitting down, I took a quick walk around Roberts Park to 'stretch my legs'. (Isn't that an odd expression? I didn't come back with longer legs!) The rose-bay willow herb caught my eye, its vibrant pink flowers massed along the river bank. I think it's called 'fireweed' in other countries and you can see why, as the spikes do look a bit like flames from a distance. I think it's quite pretty but it is classed as an invasive plant as it self-seeds prolifically, its fluffy seeds carried long distances on the wind, and it also spreads by its roots. 

On the way back I noticed this: 


'MISSING PARROT SEE CO OP'. Now, is that meant to say 'coop' or 'Co-op' do you think? Either way I was none the wiser, though I do recall seeing a piece in the local press about an African Grey parrot that has recently gone AWOL from the Hirst Wood estate. I'd imagine it has headed for Hirst Woods, I certainly haven't seen one around the village. 

Luckily not a Norwegian Blue... otherwise: 'This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!' as the famous Monty Python sketch put it. (I suppose that dates me! Never mind.) 

5 comments:

  1. "E's 'aving a kip after a long night's squawk" Yep, I too am dated. And I love the name Rose Bay Willow Herb and once wanted to plant some but it's illegal. Just as well--we already have enough invasives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be one of the best Monty Python sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL…it’s always good to be reminded of things from the past that made one laugh a lot!😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosebay willow-herb used to be a scarce woodland plant. It also has the name "bombweed" as it was quick to colonise bomb-sites after WWII. Like all "invasive" plants the blame does not lie with the plant, but with the human race for messing up the natural environment.

    ReplyDelete