Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 15 August 2023

Leeds scenes


I met a friend in Leeds recently to go and see an exhibition. Walking up towards the university, under a stormy sky, I enjoyed the variety of buildings. Above, the Corten steel-clad Broadcasting Tower, next to a converted church (both part of Leeds Beckett University), with a backdrop of the high-rise towers in the city centre. 

There are artworks dotted about. The one below is Converse Column by Lilaine Lijn, two separate poems revolving, one inside the other, inspired by themes of communication, collaboration and innovation. 



Many of the buildings are sculptural in themselves: 


Once I arrived at the Leeds University Parkinson Building (a splendid 'Greek Revival meets Art Deco' structure, conceived in the 1930s but not finished until the 1950s) I realised it was a graduation day. There were lots of students in their gowns, with smartly-dressed and proud parents in tow. Had I been braver I could have got some good pictures but it felt a bit intrusive so I chickened out. The little group below was just settling on the ledge for a photo and they were the only ones I snapped. It all reminded me that it is exactly fifty years since I graduated! Geesh. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent photos of University setting, and I loved seeing a city in the background of the more historic buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a contrast in architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those graduates look so young.

    ReplyDelete