Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 30 August 2023

Roseberry Topping


One rainy lunchtime when I was at primary school, aged about eight or nine, I was idly leafing through an atlas of the British Isles. I came across a place named 'Roseberry Topping', which in my child's mind immediately conjured up some kind of fluffy, pink, creamy dessert. I was quite taken with this and vowed to visit this seemingly mythical site sometime in my life. I later discovered it was a distinctively shaped hill in North Yorkshire... but it has taken me sixty odd years to actually go and see it. (I think I both did and did not want to explore it: my wish to see it being equal and opposite to my reluctance to tarnish my childhood fantasy.)  

Anyway, my trip to the North York Moors gave me chance for some good views of the hill, albeit fairly hazy with the drizzle and low cloud. As I scouted around for the best viewpoint for photos, the mist started to evaporate, causing some interesting effects that looked like plumes of smoke coming from the forest. 


The shape of the hill is caused both by its geology (hard sandstone overlying clay and shale) and by a landslip in 1912. 


It's good to have ticked off that particular 'bucket list' item, though perhaps one day I should actually try climbing to its summit. I think there's a path and at 320m it's considered to be a hill in UK terms, rather than a mountain. Manageable, I guess. 

3 comments:

  1. What a great name! I, too, at once thought of a dessert--perhaps involving sweetened crushed rosehips atop a heap of some fluffy white deliciousness. But the hill is very nice, and your photos are delicious.

    ReplyDelete