Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 9 November 2022

The King!

TV photo: King Charles III signs a visitors’ book in Bradford City Hall

I recently lost a close friend and it was her funeral yesterday, in Bradford Cathedral. It just so happened that was also the day King Charles III chose to visit our city. Given that I was going to a funeral, I had not intended to go down to try to see the King. However, it transpired that various roads were being closed and the crowds meant car parking would be scarce. I decided that, to avoid stress, I had better get into the city centre in plenty of time. I did, with about an hour to spare. The details of King Charles' visit were rather vague ('arriving at lunchtime') but with time on my hands, I thought I'd pop along to City Hall to see what was happening. To my surprise, my arrival neatly coincided with his. I wasn't close to the front of the crowd by any means but I still managed - just! - to see him walking up the steps of City Hall. I took the photo below on my mobile phone - it's terrible, worse for being enlarged and the super-enlarged version is worse still! Never mind, I feel pleased to have glimpsed the historic moment and to have managed even a grainy photo. 

My photo (enlarged) : King Charles III, Bradford City Hall - 8 November 2022 

My photo, super-enlarged! 

I have supplemented my meagre offering with a few snaps from the TV screen, where his visit was given plenty of coverage on the local Evening News. I think it used to be easier to spot the late Queen, when she would wear really striking colours. Charles' grey suit didn't stand out, but he is a lot taller than HM the Queen was so I guess that compensates. He was not accompanied on this occasion by his wife, Camilla, the Queen Consort. 

TV photo: the King arrives

TV photo: chatting to young leaders in Bradford City Hall


TV photo: King Charles leaves Bradford City Hall 

The lady to Charles' right is Bradford Council's Chief Executive, Kersten England. I guess the chap in uniform is West Yorkshire's Lord Lieutenant, Ed Anderson. The men in suits may be the King's Personal Protection Officers, I'm not sure. Behind him is our Lord and Lady Mayoress in their robes, and behind them, I'm pretty sure, is the King's Equerry, Major Johnny Thompson, of the 5th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland (hence the kilt and fancy hat). 

 

3 comments:

  1. Close encounters with the King. Very exciting. The funeral not so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My condolences on the passing of your friend and as for the royal sighting, it was quite the coincidence.

    ReplyDelete