Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 14 November 2022

Postcards from Bath #1


Postcards from Bath #1: Pulteney Bridge

I wonder what image comes to mind when I mention the city of Bath? I was fortunate to be able to spend a few days there in early November. I think I may have visited once before but so long ago that I have little recollection of it, so I was keen to explore. Perhaps one of the most famous sights is Pulteney Bridge, designed by Robert Adam and completed in 1773. Its design, being lined by shops, echoes the Ponte Vecchio and Rialto bridges in Italy.


Its distinctive arches carry Argyle Street over the River Avon. The bridge was part of a grand design in the 18th century to develop a neo-classical garden suburb on the east bank of the river, but much of the plan had to be abandoned due to the American War of Independence and the outbreak of war with France.  At road level (see below), it hardly registers as 'a bridge' at all. 


Pulteney Weir, just below the bridge, originally powered corn and fulling mills on the riverside. Flooding downstream was a recurring problem and in 1971 the weir was redesigned into a distinctive oval shape to mitigate this. 


At night, the bridge is attractively floodlit: 


 

4 comments:

  1. The last night shot is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful place. (I've actually visited it.) Perfect for Jane Austen fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to live above a river in one of those buildings with windows so as to look down and see it. Precarious, when you actually think about it. Maybe in my next life.As usual, I have enjoyed your photos!!

    ReplyDelete