Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 20 February 2022

Classical puzzle


The Bankfield Museum in Halifax has a room - the Marble Gallery - full of statues and classical imagery. I was intrigued by this sculpture, a classical Greek mythology statue of a woman... a goddess perhaps, (whose foot you can just see). I didn't take too much notice of it really but happened to see at its base this cupid, apparently snogging another! (Or maybe doing CPR?) I rather liked it and took a quick snap just for fun. I still rather like it... but I now wish I'd taken more notice of the whole piece (not that it appeared to have any explanatory label). Because the second little person underneath doesn't appear to be a cupid, so I'm wondering if it is actually the story of Cupid and Psyche - and the woman standing is Venus? 

For a (rather hilarious) quick round-up of that story, please see HERE

Whether I'm right or wrong, I think I'm going to have to go back and take another look! 

3 comments: