Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 31 December 2021

Past, present, future


Despite the plethora of electric lights around Saltaire at night, which are hardly authentic to the original Victorian period of Salts Mill and the surrounding streets, nevertheless I often feel even closer to the past at night than in the day. When mist is closing in and night falls, I could almost expect to find myself dressed in a long skirt, cloak and bonnet, hurrying home along the cobbled streets. Maybe I've read too many novels by Dickens or the BrontĂ« sisters... 

These are just phone shots, which initially rendered the sky an apocalyptic brownish orange. It may have been the sodium glare from nearby Bradford, though it didn't look orange to my eyes. Never mind, a few clicks of my mouse in Lightroom (which now has a 'select sky' function) and I have turned it into a more believable blue-ish shade. Now, you couldn't do that in the 1800s! 


As another year ends, we not only look back but also forwards to the New Year's blank sheet, wondering what is in store for us, both individually and collectively. I could not have predicted the turmoil of recent years, politically and in relation to the global pandemic. It's been 'interesting' to say the least! We can only hope that 2022 holds better things for ourselves and our planet.  

Wishing you all a peaceful and healthy New Year. 

4 comments:

  1. I"m not sure which of these shots takes me into the 19th century, but that was also my feeling, that walking down that way, and turning that corner, I'd be there. And that was before reading your own comments! Glad you could correct the sky. Phone cameras are sometimes really weird on colors. I always bemoaned that a red rose came out so blaringly without shadows and highlights. Perhaps I should take up painting again...Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful moody shots! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautiful photos have made a year at home much more bearable by allowing us to travel virtually. Happy New Year to you and may there be many more rambles!

    ReplyDelete