Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 30 December 2021

Industrial Museum details 4

Here are a few more details that I was drawn to during my visit to Bradford Industrial Museum. These are all taken around the weaving looms, showing the intricacies of the threads. I learned something too, in writing this post... The thin wires holding the warp threads are called heddles. They are fixed to movable shafts and their purpose is to separate and lift the warp threads to allow the weft thread to pass through.  

This loom is programmed by punched cards, a kind of digital data input (the presence or absence of holes in specific positions) and effectively the precursor to our modern day computers. 

Again, in composing these images I was more concerned with shape, form and pattern than in what the items actually are. 



I sometimes think punched cards might be more effective than Blogger at correctly lining up and formatting my uploaded images. I can't get these to line up straight! 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely designs of repetitive forms, whether metal or wool, and such great colors! I would love to see a machine working, only in slow motion. Not likely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are great. I remember doing punch cards to feed data into computers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your images are so fascinating I never even noticed the offset line-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger can be confounding many times, but regardless of the line-up disparity, the images are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete