Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 11 December 2021

Industrial Museum details 1


I like to keep fit by walking regularly, enlivening those walks by taking along my camera (or phone) just in case I see something interesting. In the winter, of course, it's not always feasible, since we have more than our fair share of rain and I'm not really one for getting soaked unless it's unavoidable! On those days, I'm grateful that we have some interesting museums and galleries locally. One of my favourites is Bradford's Industrial Museum, housed in a redundant textile mill built in 1875. 


To be honest, I'm not that excited by the exhibits on display in themselves. My heart doesn't beat faster on seeing a steam engine or a spinning machine, though the history of Bradford through the Industrial Revolution and the development of our textile mills and associated industries is quite fascinating. I'm glad these things are preserved and, in many cases, kept in working order. I'm also impressed by how they are curated and the various special exhibitions woven (forgive the pun!) around them. There is currently one about 'Literature in mills and factories' exploring the activities of Victorian mill workers as writers and readers

What truly inspires me, as a photographer, is the abundance of photogenic detail to be found - the shapes, colours, textures, light and shade - and the challenge of seeing compositions and executing them well. So I'm going to post a few little collections of the details that caught my eye during my most recent visit to the Industrial Museum. I'm not going into explanations of what the items are - sufficient, I think, to enjoy them as artistic objects. 





6 comments:

  1. It's great to see all these details and I love the way that even the most mundane objects were beautified by those Victorian engineers. I can only get excited by these machines when they are fired up and working away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely gears and wheels...they do make great designs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shot with all of the gears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these shots. Beauty is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me these efficient machines are simply fascinating.In particular the use of different metals appropriate to the need: much cast iron strong under compression with much carbon good for naturally lubricating shaft bearings (top). Red indicates the regular need for bearing oil, and the pock-marked disc the jabs of a thousand oil can spouts missing the hole by factory oilers or (at sea) Indian tal-wallahs! When the mal-treated bearing eventually seized solid came the classic answer: "Not doing, Sahib!" Made me laugh. Try explaining that away to a Chief Engineer. Uh-uh.

    ReplyDelete