Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 9 October 2021

Within All Saints

Here's a selection of images of things that caught my eye within Harewood's church of All Saints. The alabaster tomb figures are very fine carvings of lords and ladies from the 15th century. I believe the lady shown above is Elizabeth Aldborough, wife of Richard Redmond, and is dated 1426. 

There are a few beautiful and vibrant stained glass windows in the church. I really loved this one, depicting the Annunciation: 

The tomb figures would originally have been painted, though the paint has now gone. As if in remembrance the church’s stained glass throws luscious colour onto them. This one is William Rayther. 

Knights are often depicted with their feet lying on dogs or lions. This one - a little lion, I think - had a cute expression! 


On the oldest tomb, Lady Elizabeth Mowbray, wife of Sir William Gascoigne, has a very elaborate headdress. 

I loved the patterns thrown by the sunshine through the windows:





4 comments:

  1. Very lovely, and peaceful. I looked quickly to see why Gascoigne was a familiar name, but the ancestry tree said the Gascoignes in my family were Thomas and Edwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tomb carvings are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stained glass always draws my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stained glass windows are quite beautiful. The artwork at the top, the colors and design sets off the rest.

    ReplyDelete