Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 25 October 2021

Victoria Gate


More 'looking up' in Leeds, photos mostly taken around the newish (2016) Victoria Gate shopping mall, which houses the John Lewis department store and other relatively high-end retailers. It's a bewildering place, even more so on the inside than the outside, with lots of glass, shiny marble and soaring escalators. I find it makes me feel quite disorientated and a little light-headed, so that although I love the John Lewis brand, I don't much enjoy shopping here. I'd rather go to the branches in Manchester or Sheffield's Meadowhall, which feel a bit less dizzying. They also have very keen security guards who don't like you to take photos inside the mall itself, which is a pity since it is quite spectacular. 




My final photo is taken at the back of the Leeds Kirkgate Market Hall, presenting quite a colourful contrast to its grand and ornate Victorian frontage. 


3 comments:

  1. You have a real eye for picking out these arresting patterns and shapes, and framing them up in dynamic ways. I realise I've been missing my occasional forays into the urban environment in the last months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been in a mall or a store other than grocery stores & hardware stores since the whole pandemic began. I think I would be overwhelmed in a mall.

    ReplyDelete